Historic Debate- Cuban Missile Crisis

The place to discuss issues being debated in the 2009-2010 school year -- briefs, legislation and debate.

Moderator: Officers

athakker

Re: Historic Debate- Cuban Missile Crisis

Post by athakker »

Hi,

I would like to participate..

Thanks.
jweinstein

Post by jweinstein »

sign me up georgie boy
ANaroden

Post by ANaroden »

This is just like a normal meeting kinda right? Like we meet in the same place? What is the significance of signing up here? .... Well anyway I guess I'm in. But is anyone really not going to participate, except of course people who know they'll be busy?
galukal

Post by galukal »

ANaroden wrote:This is just like a normal meeting kinda right? Like we meet in the same place? What is the significance of signing up here? .... Well anyway I guess I'm in. But is anyone really not going to participate, except of course people who know they'll be busy?
You have to be assigned a nation in advance and do research on its position in international relations at the time.
DGrastara

Post by DGrastara »

I'd like to participate
MRajpara

Post by MRajpara »

Im in guys. SIgn Me Up
pmcavaddy

Post by pmcavaddy »

I'll do it too!
Jgonzalez

Post by Jgonzalez »

ahhh! late by a few minutes. its all that math stuff!
anyway, if you have a spot left, ill do it
Bob Fenster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Fenster »

George was supposed to jump right on this thread at 9 pm, but evidently he had some math homework too. Assignments will be posted today (Thursday). It is vital that everyone who signed up (a) research their country's position as of October 1962, and (b) show up on time to the meeting and stay until 4 p.m. If you're planning on bailing 45 minutes into the meeting or showing up 45 minutes late, it's better that you don't attend. That goes for all meetings, but especially a historic simulation.
Bob Fenster
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Fenster »

Confused -- how are there 19 countries in the Security Council? And you listed less than 15 in your brief...
galukal

Post by galukal »

Nonmembers can be invited if they are deemed relevant. I made a list of potential nonmembers who could be invited if we got more people, usually choosing countries who would be near the carnage, had missiles, or were major Cold War places (i.e. the two Germany/ies). The list is at the bottom of the brief. I only listed actual members plus Cuba at the top.
JCasto

Post by JCasto »

I suggest having fewer random countries and more pairings of older members with younger members.
EWang

Post by EWang »

Yeah, I second that notion. Eliminate all the non-members and pair people up. Double-delegating will be fun.
galukal

Post by galukal »

This is why I posted this idea on the Officer's Forum during the summer, guys. And the nations aren't random, they're all either near the potential carnage, of military significance, or both. Great timing. Though Cuba will stay because it's relevant.
---------------------------

Thanks to last-minute slipping and sliding, here are the new country roles. I will delete the earlier post.

UK- George Alukal
US- Eric Wang, Michael Moccio
USSR- Garrett
France- Ben, Vaibhav
Republic of China- Josh, Jack Weinstein
Cuba- Daria, Bertrand
United Arab Republic- Vikram, Marg
Ireland- Chris McCloskey
Romania- Emily, Jesse
Ghana- Mike Lind, Adam Naroden
Chile- Shree
Venezuela- Aman
bromano

Post by bromano »

So what are we actually going to do. Are we going to write resolutions while there like a conference? or are we coming in with a prewritten legislation?