Child Education

The place to discuss issues being debated in the 2009-2010 school year -- briefs, legislation and debate.

Moderator: Officers

athakker

Re: Child Education

Post by athakker »

And to answer George for speakers, i believe Vaibhav(Turkey) was pro for 5-2 and Sonali(Argentina) was con for 5-1.
Jfanders

Post by Jfanders »

athakker wrote:Does that mean that to prove to the world that countries work together and that we MUST combine the resolutions to give an example?
Ok, you didn't need to comment on that part because it is irrelevent and I put it on there to try and use it to convince people to combine the resolutions, you know, like a motivator. Look, sponsor peoples, if you are reading this, you need to TALK TO EACH OTHER. God, 5-1 people, communicate with the 5-2 people. This resolution could easily be combined and dosen't have to wait until the day of the debate. Canada and USA, talk to each other about this. I mean, your countries are litteraly right next to each other, how can you avoid this for so long. Do not let your ego's get in the way of solving the issue at hand. If you all read each other's bills, you will find that everything that has been written, execpt for a few minor things, is almost the same and could again, be easily combined, here on the fourms.
athakker

Post by athakker »

Jfanders wrote: Canada and USA, talk to each other about this. I mean, your countries are litteraly right next to each other, how can you avoid this for so long.
Lets not forget this is MODEL UN so geography really isn't a factor. We are all together in school, not in different countries. But I agree that sponsors should talk and say ay or nay ASAP so that we can get on with this.
Jfanders

Post by Jfanders »

Aman, it was meant to be a humurous joke, which I apparently failed at. I also would like to ask the need for commenting on that?
sonali.alluri

Post by sonali.alluri »

I am doing con for 5-1, but its so similar to 5-2 wouldn't it be the same as going against the bill i sponsored(5-2)? Is there a debate meeting on wednesday, i thought fenster said that there wouldn't be because of rmc. I'm also not sure if i can be there, if it is this wednesday
athakker

Post by athakker »

No meeting this Wednesday. We were supposed to have de-briefing on that day but since Fenster did it on last Wednesday, there will be no meeting.
EWang

Post by EWang »

Yeah, RMC kids, if you weren't at last Wednsday's debrief or if any of you have additional questions about the conference, please ask. You can e-mail me at umw1299@yahoo.com or George at galukal@gmail.com or just post in the RMC 2010 thread.
athakker

Post by athakker »

I request Sponsors and Signatories vote on the following Amendments:

Sponsors and their responses to amendments:

Amendment 1 to 5-2: Strike Section 1
Votes:
Sponsors:
Canada: Nay?
United Kingdom:??
Austria: Aye(but still willing to see stats)
South Africa:??
Argentina:??

Amendment to remove section 1 from 5-2 and add sections 2 and 5 of 5-1 to 5-2 (in order to combine resolutions)
Votes:
Sponsors:
United States:??
Slovakia:??
China:??
Russia:??
Canada:??
United Kingdom:??
Austria: Aye
South Africa:??
Argentina:??
Last edited by athakker on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jfanders

Post by Jfanders »

Aman, you realize that you just could have said the sections you wanted to combine from each bill and then call for a combination vote instead of makeing it more complicated for yourself and others?
athakker

Post by athakker »

Because I was trying to do it like a formal debate amendment? Just because this is online doesn't mean that rules are out the window so I like using proper parliamentary procedure both in meetings and on the forums as much as I can. But I did write in parentheses the purpose of the amendment so if you were confused, you could see the info in parentheses.
bromano

Post by bromano »

SEMANTICS ALERT!!!!!

You don't need the signatories to pass an amendment. Just so you know Aman. The signatories are people who don't necessarily support the bill/legislation, they are just people who want to see it on the floor, being debated.
Jfanders

Post by Jfanders »

Dude, technically speaking, Ben is right (as much as I hate to say it because that means my opionion is worth nothing). And by the way, what I ment is you could make it simpler on yourself in writing it and just saying:

Motion to combine resolutions by taking the following sections from each bill:
5-1: Sections 2 and 5
5-2: Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6

I now call a vote. Those in favor say "Aye" and opposed say "nae"

That was all I ment.
athakker wrote:Just because this is online doesn't mean that rules are out the window so I like using proper parliamentary procedure both in meetings and on the forums as much as I can.
I was not trying to throw rules out the window. All I suggested was shortning it to make it easier on yourself for next time. No reason to be up in arms.
athakker

Post by athakker »

Jfanders wrote:Dude, technically speaking, Ben is right (as much as I hate to say it because that means my opionion is worth nothing).
Already fixed it dude.
VSharma

Post by VSharma »

I just wanted to say that I was a sponsor for resolution 5-2. I think I was one of the names Shree forgot to place when typing the resolution.
sonali.alluri

Post by sonali.alluri »

So will there be a final brief put up by the sponsors of both bills. or will we have to decide that in class because it's confusing, since there is no set bill up yet.